Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Small Bridge

This past Saturday in the course of 'tracting' on the square I had an interesting encounter. A young college age man sat on the divider between the south side Max stop and the square reading a book. Sitting on the barrier placed him at eye level.

I approached him, "Hey, got one of these?"I said as I offered him a 'School Shootings' tract. He took the tract gave it a quick glance and he tossed it down like it was hot, "Don't give me this s--t ! My mother took me out in the woods and shot a tree and said son it's not like in the movies!"

I said, "Dude, I did the same with my boys!" I then let him speak his mind, offering no objections to his slights against the true God and His word. After speaking a while, he then ran out of steam and began to apologize for his angry outburst!

"Hey, I'm glad you got that off your chest! My name is Jim," I said, as I offered him my hand. He took it and we shook hands. I had picked up the tract I had offered him and after our hand shake I offered him the 'Science Facts in the Bible' tract.

"Hey you'll like this one, it tells of scientific facts found in the Bible...very interesting...later," I said as he took the tract from me and I moved on down the walk.

What is the lesson in this encounter? I think being led of the Spirit is important. He'll give you direction and wisdom to know when not to talk! It was like taking several verbal blows and turning the other cheek. He felt a little ashamed that he had spoken so and that opened the door for a small emotional link to be established with the introduction and the shake of the hand, which opened the way for another offering of the gospel with a different 'wrapper'!

Believe me when I say that this was not a 'knowledge' thing. After it was all over I could hardly believe what had happened. It wasn't me. It was rather like the servant of Abraham searching out a bride for his master's son. Remember his testimony? 'I being in the way, the Lord led me!'

I guess that's what we are doing out here each week. We are seeking a bride for the Lord Jesus. Dear Lord use your word to call souls to your self!

1 comment:

Daniel Balter said...

Hey Brother, when are you going to post some new manna? Your blog is a blessing. Shalom!