Saturday, August 27, 2011

Let me Introduce you to A Hero of Mine...


"More things are wrought by prayer
Than this world dreams of."
Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I came to the Day Creek Free Methodist church
as a young boy of 11 years old, lost and outside the covenant of the kingdom of Christ. There were many "old ladies" at this church. One particular lady, Iva Morgan, sat in a pew behind me that morning. I heard the gospel message and fell under deep conviction of sin. I was clinging to the pew during the invitation. The church was singing, "Just as I am without one plea....but that thy blood was shed for me...". Mrs Morgan lay her hand on my shoulder and asked, "Jimmy would like to be saved?" My answer took the form of action! I was at the alter on my knees not knowing exactly what to do ...when the preacher whispered in my ear, "Jim, put all your sins in a bag and give them to Jesus! I was the pilgrim...and that was the day the heavy burden rolled off my soul! O the sweet peace of sins forgiven!

Years later our family paid Mrs. Morgan a visit during the Christmas season. She was up in years and could not stand up straight. When she walked she could only look at the floor, but prayer she could see the heavenlies! Her greatest complaint was that she could not pray like she used too! I thought that she had plenty of time now. What would keep her from praying as she once did? Being curious, I asked why? "Well", she began, "There was a time, years ago, when the Spirit moved me to pray. I would go to my room.... the season of prayer would last for three days..." I sat there in utter amazement!

Mrs. Morgan had drunkard husband. He hated Christ and thought nothing of taking out his displeasure upon his sweet Christian wife. When he drank, there were times that Iva bore the brunt of physical abuse. But God used these trials to drive her into the prayer closet! It was her leadership in prayer that kept that country church open! Her prayers that brought Pastor Spurling to the community. Pastor Spurling visited me, carried me to church and preached Christ to me! I thank God for the prayers of this dear saint. She now is a part of that great cloud of witnesses in heaven (Hebrews 12:1). When I get to heaven, I look forward to expressing my deep gratitude to Iva Morgan for her many years of faithfulness in prayer!

Tomorrow pray the Lord of harvest, that he would send forth laborers into His harvest! We will be down town at the Skidmore Fountain at 10:45am. Thank you all for your prayers!

No comments: